Thursday 13 April 2017

An Ode to Sea Waves

I stand upon higher ground, feeling safe,
Beyond the reach of the waves,
But am I ever out of reach
Of these billows that touch the beach?

To some they're perturbations brought by the wind,
Crests and troughs upon a humongous ocean,
But to me, it's a fluid that washes my soul,
Coming and going but consuming me whole,

For my soul is touched by these waves that soar,
Reaching heights over the sea, just to lick the shore,
Showing their might and then slowing down,
Teaching us all to hold to our calm,

They do this in earnest, day and night,
Each time trying harder than the last,
Putting on a tranquil, musical dance,
Sending me off into a silent trance,

Lash the waves upon the sea coast,
Wetting grains of sand before they dry up,
Moistening the wood of tied boats,
And caressing the feet of those who stand close,

I stand upon the sands, wielding my pen,
Writing down words that flow from within,
And as I do, I stop to see,
That the sea without is also within me,

That over time, the water's conditioned my being,
Into seeking bliss only from a lake or sea,
That I can never sit in peace near a river,
Like saltwater creatures, in fresh water,

I stop to think if something's wrong,
If I'd gone mad to reject the flow of the stream,
For once and for all, and then I see,
That the flowing river too, bows to the mighty sea,

I stand there, drinking it all in,
But am I not a fool to think that I can?
I think I'm a great man observing it all,
But when it gobbles me I see its size in full,
Water that eats me up alive,
Why the whole world with space for more.

Written on/before 1.4.2017, major edits made on 13.4.2017


1 comment:

Seine Wörter

Sein Wörter sind ja schön, Aber liebe sie nicht zu sehr, Er sagt wie es ist richtig, Aber es ist nur sein Meinung, Glaub nicht die Wörte...